Happy New Year!
The passing of one year to the next reminds us of new beginnings and new opportunities. Maybe you’ve been thinking about buying a home in 2017 — or selling one. Now is a good time to set some realistic goals (call them resolutions, if it helps!) for the weeks and months ahead. Here are some thoughts from your friends at Pacific Union:
- Interest rates are rising. If you plan to get a mortgage, get your paperwork in order and get locked into a low interest rate.
- Even if you don’t plan to actively look for a new home just now, it’s never too early to work on your credit score. Raising that number will help you get a bigger mortgage at a lower interest rate.
- While you’re at it, take a close look at your current credit rating. Nearly a quarter of all Americans have discovered problems with their credit reports, according to a recent survey.
FOR HOME SELLERS:
- Talk with a trusted real estate professional for tips on improvements that will help find a buyer for your home: fixing structural problems, as well heating, electrical and plumbing systems; giving your home a fresh coat of paint, inside and out; and investing in landscaping improvements — think curb appeal!
- Not all improvements have to cost money to give you a big payoff. Wash all the windows. Keep the house bright — open the drapes and blinds, and replace dim lightbulbs with bright, high-wattage bulbs. Remove clutter from all rooms and closets.
- Take family photos off the walls and put them, along with other personal mementos and family heirlooms, in a storage unit, or your next home. Buyers want to imagine their own photos on the walls, and yours get in the way. They really do.